Frequently Asked Questions:
- What are the Age Divisions?
- What is your Event Calendar?
- When do you start?
- Can I try it out before I join?
- How do I join?
- Where do you play?
- When do you play?
- How do I get the equipment?
- What are the fees and costs to join?
- Can I choose which team I play for?
- Do I have to play in the city in which I live?
- Can I still join if I've never played before?
- Who are the Falcons?
- Is there a cut-off for joining?
- Can I officiate / referee?
- Can I coach in the EAFL?
- Are coaches paid? Do you import coaches from outside the UAE?
- Do you import players from outside the UAE?
- Are the players paid?
- Do you offer social memberships?
- When is Desert Bowl?
- Do you have a Player / Fan Code of Conduct?
- What is the official football of the EAFL?
What are the age divisions?
PeeWee: 9 -11 years*
Bantam: 12- 13 years
Junior Varsity: 14 - 15 years
Varsity: 16 - 18 years
*(some 8 year olds accepted after evaluation)
** Majority of players in the Men's Division are 25 - 32yrs. Our oldest player is 53 years old (and he's pretty good, too!)
What is your event calendar?
When do you activities start?
- REGISTRATION - officially opens on September 1
- FOOTBALL ACTIVITIES - Camps, Seminars, Clinics, etc start from October 1st
- OFFICIAL TEAM PRACTICES - start on December 3rd, 2017 across the UAE.
- YOUTH GAMES - start on January 26th, 2018
- MEN's GAMES - start on January 26th, 2018
Note: All players must attend 6 padded practices minimum before playing in games. (some exceptions apply)
Can I try it out before I join?
Yes! You may attend two practice sessions for FREE to see if you like American football.
How do I join?
1. Register yourself on the EAFL website.
2. Fill out ALL required information. including Passport Copy, Emergency Contact and Medical Info, as well as signing the waivers.
3. Pay the fee associated with the activity you would like to join (Camp, seminar, league season, etc). Note that fees must be paid before you can participate.
4. If you have any queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where do you play?
We have teams in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Al Ain.
All games are played on Fridays (with some exceptions) at a central location that rotates around the UAE.
For example, on Week 5, we may play 12 games of football across all 5 divisions in Al Ain. On Week 6, we may play 10 games of football across 4 divisions in Dubai. And so on.
When do you play?
We play games mostly on Fridays (with some exceptions).
We practice twice per week. The Youth teams typically practice from 5:30 - 7:30pm and the Men from 8 - 10pm.
How do I get the equipment?
You can either rent or buy the equipment from the EAFL office at Dubai Sports City. Click here for info on the 2015-16 Equipment Program
What are the fees and costs to join?
2017-18 season fees have not yet been set but fees typically range from 2,975 - 3,275 AED. Please click here for the 2016-17 Membership Fees
Other activities (Camps, Tournaments, Clinics, etc.), if not free, have a separate cost.
Can I choose which team I play for?
Youth - No
Men - Yes
Players for Youth division teams are allocated by the League, based on age, skill level, and the team's requirements to ensure that each athlete gets lots of playing time and that the teams are evenly balanced.
Men’s Division players are free to choose their own team.
Do I have to play in the city in which I live?
No, but we encourage you to speak with your city's coach to ensure that you meet the attendance expectations of the team before making any decisions.
Can I still join if I've never played before?
Yes, 40% of our athletes have never played before. We offer 2 free sessions so you can see if you enjoy it.
Who are the Falcons?
The EAFL Falcons is our all-star team.
The Falcons compete at various age levels from 11yrs - adult. The Falcons program is comprised of the top players from the league. All Falcons must be members of the EAFL, except for Falcons alumni (Legacy Members) who may join on an ad hoc basis.
Is there a cut-off for joining?
February 3rd, 2018 is the final day for new players.
Can I officiate / referee? Are officials paid?
Yes. Please contact the Emirates American Football Officials Association (EAFOA) by clicking email@example.com
Can I coach in the EAFL?
Yes! The EAFL has 50+ volunteer coaches in 5 divisions across 24 teams and they form the foundation of the league. We couldn't do it without them.
All coaches are certified through the EAFL Training Academy where they undergo training in Health & Safety, Team Management, and Football Theory.
If you are interested in coaching, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org along with your coaching qualifications and/or experience, if applicable.
Click Here for the Coaching Certification Program info.
Are coaches paid? Do you import coaches from outside the UAE?
No. All coaches are volunteers who live and work in the United Arab Emirates.
Do you import players from outside the UAE?
No. All players must be residents of the United Arab Emirates.
Are the players paid?
No. The EAFL is an amateur community football league. We do not have professional players. All members pay an annual membership fee to participate.
Do you offer social memberships?
Yes. We offer a discounted membership option for those who wish to primarily practice with the team. Please contact us for details.
When is Desert Bowl?
Desert Bowl is held on the 3 Friday of March, each season.
Desert Bowl VI is Friday, March 16th, 2018 at Dubai Sports City
Do you have a code of conduct?
Yes. The EAFL is committed to creating a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable entertainment experience for all our players, coaches, and fans.
Fan code of conduct
We want all fans of all ages attending our games to enjoy the experience in a responsible fashion. With that in mind, the following behaviors are prohibited at all times during a game:
- Behavior that is unruly, disruptive, or illegal in nature.
- Attempted intimidation of referee officials, coaching personnel and players.
- Verbal or physical harassment of:
- League staff
- Other fans
- Intoxication or other signs of alcohol impairment that results in irresponsible behavior.
- Foul or abusive language or obscene gestures.
- Interference with the progress of the game (including throwing objects onto the field).
- Failing to follow instructions of stadium personnel.
- Entering field/pitch area before, during and after a game.
Player code of conduct
- Players should play and adhere to the rules of the sport and abide by league guidelines while participating.
- Players must display respect and professionalism to referee officials at all times.
- Players shall refrain from using any language or remarks that are disparaging to anyone’s race, religion or creed. Such behavior will not be tolerated.
- Players must have respect for each other, opposing teams, their coaching staff and the league.
Official Ball of the EAFL
- PeeWee - Wilson TDJ or Under Armour 495 (Junior size, composite (rubber))
- Bantam - Wilson TDY or Under Armour 495 (Youth size, composite (rubber))
- Jr Varsity -Wilson GST 1003 (Official size, leather)
- Varsity - Wilson GST 1003 (Official size, leather)
- Men - Wilson GST 1003 (Official size, leather)